Skip to main content
Department of Justice
Births, Deaths and Marriages
BDM Header
Print page

Adding Same Sex Parent's Details

If you are in a same sex relationship and you would like to add your partner's name (partner who consented to the Artificial Fertilisation procedure) to your child’s birth registration, that parent’s details may be added by completing an application form "Add parent’s details to a child’s birth registration” and payment of a fee. The fee payable for this application includes the issue of a replacement standard birth certificate. Both parents must also provide appropriate evidence-of-identity.

Note: If the child was born interstate, contact the Registry Office in the State or Territory where the child was born.

Evidence-of-Identity Requirements

When applying in person three forms of original evidence-of-identity must be provided.

When applying by post, three forms of photocopied evidence-of-identity documents must be provided with your application. Do not post original documents.

When applying from overseas - The Western Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages will consider current photocopied overseas evidence-of-identity documents equivalent to those stated in the Evidence-of-Identity Requirements lists. Do not post original documents.

Further information is available on the Evidence-of-Identity Requirements page.

Where and how do I apply?

Application Forms

Delivery Time

Within four working days plus regular postal delivery time.


Payment is accepted by:

  • Credit card (MasterCard or Visa only)
  • Cheque/money order.

Cheques or money orders should be made payable to: Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages.

Note: Overseas applicants must pay in Australian dollars by quoting credit card details (Visa or MasterCard only) or using an international money order or bank draft. No other form of payment can be accepted by the Registry.

The certificate fee includes regular domestic or overseas airmail postal delivery.

Note: Due to continually changing postal services and differing costs the Registry cannot provide advice or arrange for postal services other than the regular domestic or overseas airmail postal delivery. If Express, Registered or Priority mail delivery is needed the applicant must make their own arrangements and provide the necessary self-addressed envelope. Refer below:

Customers within Australia (only if required by the applicant)

Registered Post or Express Post: Please enclose a self-addressed Registered Post or Express Post envelope with your application.

Overseas customers (only if required by the applicant)

Priority delivery: Please arrange for a courier service to collect document/s from the Registry at Westralia Square, Level 10, 141 St Georges Terrace, Perth, Western Australia 6000 (8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays).

If you are arranging a courier please include this information in your application.

Phone, fax, email or online applications

The Registry is unable to accept applications by phone, fax, email or online.

Legalising documents for use in overseas countries

Note: Some overseas countries require Australian documents to be authenticated. Refer to Smartraveller - Legalising Documents for further information on this requirement.

Last updated: 15-Sep-2020

[ back to top ]

Home | Feedback | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer  | DoJ HR Kiosk | Webmail
Department of Justice |  About the Department | Court and Tribunal Services | Public Advocate | Public Trustee
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.