Skip to main content
Department of Justice
Births, Deaths and Marriages
BDM Header
Print page

How do I Change a Name?

To register a change of name, you need to apply to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

You must complete an Application to Register Change of Name form and forward it to the Registry with the appropriate fee and the supporting documentation including identification documents. If you were born overseas, you must be a permanent resident or an Australian citizen and ordinarily residing in Western Australia for 12 months immediately preceding your application. See proof of residency information.

Note: If you were born in another State or Territory of Australia you must apply to change your name in your birth State. You cannot apply to the WA Registry.

Family applications: Where a family apply to change their name together (i.e. legally married or de facto couples, whether of different or same sex) all applications for children of that family under 18 years of age are not charged a fee, i.e. each adult applicant pays a full fee and each child no fee is payable.

A separate Application to Register a Change of Name must be completed for each family member and a change of name certificate will be provided for each person.

Last updated: 15-Aug-2017

[ back to top ]

Home | Feedback | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer  | DoJ HR Kiosk | Webmail
Department of Justice |  About the Department | Court and Tribunal Services | Public Advocate | Public Trustee
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.