Skip to main content
Department of Justice
Births, Deaths and Marriages
BDM Header
Print page

Proof of Residency

If you wish to apply for a change of name in Western Australia and you were NOT born in this State (that is you were born either interstate or overseas):

  • you must be a permanent resident of Australia or an Australian citizen and
  • you must also have been ordinarily residing (permanently living) in Western Australia for a period of 12 continuous months immediately leading up to the date of your application.

Note: You must provide a minimum of two separate forms of documentary evidence that you have been living in Western Australia for the 12 months immediately preceding your application. The Registry may make further enquiries about your living arrangements in the 12 months prior to your application before approving any change of name.

Evidence of your current residency should not be older than twelve months (except your WA photo driver's licence) and must show transactions or some other form of evidence that you have resided in Western Australia for the preceding twelve months.

Evidence of residency must state your current address and where applicable all previous Western Australian addresses within the last 12 months, and clearly show a 12 month history of your living in Western Australia.

Note: If you were born in another State or Territory of Australia you must apply to change your name in your birth State. You cannot apply to the WA Registry.

Please note:

  • The Registrar can refuse to register a change of name if you do not meet the requirements.
  • The Registry will not accept papers that do not have a date of issue displayed.
  • In extraordinary circumstance the Registry may accept evidence of residency older than twelve months but only where they clearly link to other forms of evidence of your living in WA. You must discuss this with Registry staff before lodging your application.
  • By signing the change of name application you are authorising the Registry at its discretion to conduct checks with appropriate agencies to verify the information in your application including the authenticity of your documentation.

Last updated: 21-May-2020

[ back to top ]

Home | Feedback | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer  | DoJ HR Kiosk | Webmail
Department of Justice |  About the Department | Court and Tribunal Services | Public Advocate | Public Trustee
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.